Body temperature plays a crucial role in the regulation of the immune system.
A healthy organism reacts to the threat of illness with regulated increases in temperature, progressing in acute cases to a high fever which can trigger an enhanced immune response.
Similarly, an artificially induced increase in body temperature can result in a sustained stimulation of otherwise inhibited powers of self-healing.
The Heckel HT-3000 hyperthermia system is designed to provide moderate hyperthermia.
Whole body hyperthermia may be beneficial as an adjunct therapy which may work in synergy with other therapies.
The new heckel HT3000 is a joint development of heckel medizintechnik GmbH and Hydrosun Medizintechnik GmbH - world leaders in the field of whole-body hyperthermia.
Indepth specialized knowledge in the fields of technology and clinical research on water-filtered infrared-A-radiation by hydrosun is combined with many years of technical and clinical know-how in whole-body hyperthermia by heckel. The heckel HT3000 wholebody hyperthermia unit is manufactured by Hydrosun and is distributed worldwide by heckel gmbH.
Included on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG Identifier 37327), Medical Device Included Class IIb, Heating unit, canopy, system.
This system is intended to be used to produce and control the delivery of mild heat, ie elevation of body temperature up to 40.5°C. The system uses water-filtered infrared radiation to induce mild whole-body hyperthermia for immune modulation as adjunctive therapy. The system comprises a canopy containing the heating lamps and a control unit to regulate and record the delivery of heat.
heckel HT-3000 Whole-body hyperthermia device
The new whole-body hyperthermia device consists of:
- Whole-body hyperthermia device heckel - HT3000
- Electrical adjustable patient's bed
- Patient monitor (Temp, EKG, SPO2, NIBP, RESP)
- Medical PC
- Documentation software heckel - FebroData®
The heat source and the water filter
Nature provided the inspiration for the HT-3000: The hydrosun® irradiators have a patented, sealed liquid filter that enables them to replicate the combination of the sun and the moisture in the Earth‘s atmosphere. A water filter absorbs infrared light of those wavelengths that would otherwise present a thermal burden to the skin.
An important feature of water-filtered infrared-A (wIRA) is its ability to penetrate into deeper-lying tissues while at the same time being gentle to the skin, thus allowing the application of wIRA at higher intensities resulting in increased effectiveness. The rise in the body‘s core temperature is correspondingly rapid and well-tolerated. In the leg and foot regions, further infrared emitters create a comfortable temperature in the interior of the tent so that the minimising heat loss.
Features of the Heckel HT-3000
- Heat input with skin-compatible and depth-effective water-filtered IR-A-radiation (wIRA) directly into the blood-streamed tissue.
- Quick and tolerable increase in body core temperature. Good compliance, even with several hours of application.
- Greater lying comfort on an adjustable patient's bed.
- Immediate change into the heat retention phase (over several hours as required) where the position of the patient can be changed gradually between the lying and seated positions.
- Moveable treatment unit without water or power current connections.
- Continuous measurement of core temperature, heart rate, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, ECG, respiratory frequency.
- Networkable special documentation software FebroData with manifold options (inter alia curve analyses and comparisons, statistics, medication, patient-specific annual survey, ICD10 list). Even during treatment, the data of this patient or other patients can be viewed and processed as required.
Example fever-range whole-body hyperthermia "short-duration": 95 min. above 39°C:
Example fever-range whole-body hyperthermia "long-duration": 300 min. above 39°C:
FebroData - patient monitoring software
Whole-body hyperthermia at higher temperature levels requires continuous vital functions monitoring. Body core temperature, pulse rate, ECG, oximetry, blood pressure (non-invasive measurement) and breathing rate are measured continuously and monitored with the aid of a color display and adjustable alarm limits. Vital function data readings are stored using the LAN-compatible customised hyperthermia software FebroData®, which incorporates numerous other functions supporting treatment and data evaluation:
- The temperature course is saved and analysed (irradiation and treatment duration, gradient of the rise in temperature, integral over the designated base temperature)
- Various temperature curves can be superimposed and compared for any given patient
- The accompanying medication can be recalled directly from self-administered lists and marked on the time axis
- A full-year calendar is created for each patient, allowing a rapid overview of a patient’s previous hyperthermia sessions, along with other treatments
- Statistical functions allow a direct overview of the patient cohort treated in terms of gender, age, indications, number of treatment sessions and temperature levels
- Up to 4 parallel treatment sessions can be monitored on a single PC screen
- Voltage / frequency: 230/240 volts; 50/60 Hz
- Power: 3000 watts
- Dimensions l x w x h: 202cm x 110cm x max. 230cm
- Movable treatment unit without water and power-current connections, low cost, low maintenance requirements
- Class IIb medical device in accordance with MDD 93/42/EEC
- EC declaration of conformity in accordance with Annex II (complete quality-assurance system)
- External verification of compliance with the international medical-device standard IEC 60601-1 by Notified Body EUROCAT, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Marking in accordance with MDD 93/42/EEC: CE0535
The hyperthermia treatment consists of two phases
Heat retention phase
|The patient lies recumbent with his/her head positioned either inside or outside the tent. The wIRA irradiators are arranged above the exposed upper part of the body. The patient lies on the comfortable mattress of an adjustable hospital bed.||The patient lies wrapped in the walls of the tent. The temperature generally still increases by a few tenths of a degree and can be maintained at this plateau level for as long as required. The electrically adjustable treatment bed allows the patient’s position to be altered according to his/her wishes and needs – from a horizontal position with the patient lying on the back or side to an upright seated position. In this way, comfortable positioning can be ensured even during a treatment lasting several hours. Using the electrically powered heckel-Lift 3000, the irradiator can be raised high above the bed improving the patient comfort.|